HOPE FELLOWSHIP CHURCH
Teaching Pastor (Shepherd)
A. Immediate Supervisor: Vision Leadership Board
B. Position Type: Full-time Paid Staff position
C. Overall Function:
It is the responsibility of the Teaching Pastor:
- to oversee all ministry efforts of the Believe in Jesus value of our Mission, including the preaching, sacramental, teaching aspects, and training members for Christian service.
- to oversee all ministry efforts of the Belong to God’s family value of our Mission, including the care of and integration of membership ministries.
- and to be primarily responsible for the cross generational shepherding and discipleship of the community, with a focus on the next generation.
D. Specific Responsibilities:
- Believe in Jesus
With oversight responsibility for the Believe value, the Teaching Pastor will, in consultation with the Vision Leadership Board:
- Responsible for the proclamation, explanation, and application of Holy Scripture, in a way that Jesus Christ might be built up and people grow in their living relationship with him. (assigned 70% of Pulpit)
- Responsible for the Sacraments that they are symbols of grace inviting people into a relationship with Jesus Christ.
- In collaboration with the Director of Worship, develop and implement weekend and special service experiences that inspire all generations to move along the faith continuum, utilizing good use of the praise teams, visual arts, drama arts, and audio/visual aids.
- Develop and implement a shepherding/discipleship model that inspires all generations to grow deeper in their faith through mid-week learning experiences.
- Oversee and promote a Disciple-Missional model; teaching and promoting a life of active engagement of the members of the Church with their neighbours.
- Belong to God’s Family
With overall responsibility for the Belong value, the Teaching Pastor will, in consultation with the Pastoral Care Elders:
- Promote a shared understanding of a culture of grace where all are seen as children of God regardless of differences, promoting unity not uniformity, diversity not division.
- Develop and grow a culture and community of Life Groups as the primary vehicle of Pastoral Care, ensuring we all do life together (no one does life alone).
- effectively shepherd all generations of the church community, and to encircle and welcome curious newcomers and visitors; utilizing Pastoral Care Elders, Life Groups, Support Teams, Prayer Teams, Deacons, and other various ministries to create an effective net of pastoral care.
- Envision and promote ‘entry points’ for newcomers into the Family of God, Vision Seminars, Membership and Ministry Classes, etc.
- Create and promote ‘on-ramps’ for current members to increase their level of engagement in the Family of God; discipleship courses, mid-size gatherings, promotion of Bless activities.
- Casting Vision
As co-shepherd of the Vision and Mission, and with primary accountability for the strategic ministry promotion of Vision into Hope Fellowship Church, the Teaching Pastor will help:
- develop a clear, shared understanding of community so that members of Hope Fellowship can articulate it themselves.
- Develop an annual calendar of sermon themes that incorporate the vision and mission of Hope Fellowship Church.
- Develop and implement/oversee teaching activities that promote the overall culture of grace at Hope Fellowship Church.
- Strategic Resources
As co-shepherd of the strategic plans, policies and procedures needed to achieve the vision of Hope Fellowship Church, the Teaching Pastor will:
- Develop, maintain, and implement a corporate strategic plan subject to approval by the Vision Leadership Board, to accomplish the church’s goals and intentions, and achieve the vision of Hope Fellowship Church.
- Work with direct report staff so they develop vision, goals, and objectives in their respective ministry areas within the framework of the church’s vision, goals and objectives, and ensure these are followed through.
- Work with direct report staff so they develop, maintain and use appropriate policies and procedures in their ministry areas that enable the effective, efficient and safe operation of that area.
- Develop, maintain, and use the above (vision, mission, values, intentions, policies, and procedures) in the ministry areas of Believe, Belong, as well as supporting Bless and Stewardship ministries of Hope Fellowship Church.
- Bless every Neighbour
- Fully support the Executive Pastor in the strategic ministry integration of the Bless value into the ministries of Hope Fellowship.
- Human Resources
With oversight responsibility for direct-report staff, the Teaching Pastor will:
- Assist the Executive Pastor in hiring ministry, office support, facilities and finance staff when required, being sure to engage other staff and volunteer ministry leaders in this process as appropriate.
- With the Executive Pastor’s lead, engage in the equipping, encouraging, empowering and evaluation of their direct report staff to ensure they are able to be successful in doing their work, are performing to expectations, and as much as possible are given opportunities to grow personally, spiritually and professionally.
- Accountable for providing leadership in managing, coaching and mentoring their direct report staff as required so they develop into strong servant leaders modeling Christ in their respective ministry areas.
- Be available to direct-report staff, spending significant “face-to-face” time interacting with them.
- Pray regularly for and with each direct-report staff member.
- Monitor team dynamics with a view to building strong and effective teams, communicating, supporting, and collaborating together while moving as a team toward the vision and mission of Hope Fellowship.
- The Teaching Pastor will:
- Maintain a strong awareness of what is happening in the life and ministries of Hope Fellowship Church through extensive personal and regular interaction with staff, the Vision Leadership Board and members of the congregation.
- Meet weekly with the Executive Pastor to debrief and maintain healthy channels of communications related to the ministry of Hope Fellowship.
- Co-chair monthly staff meetings.
E. Administrative Functions:
- Attend the monthly Vision Leadership Board and their Executive meetings, attend the Pastoral Care Elders and their Support Team monthly meetings, and attend occasional Life Group, Worship, and various other Ministry Team meetings, as needed.
- Regularly report to the Vision Leadership Board on current plans and issues such as ministry and staffing updates, with respect to goals and vision, etc.
- A public commitment to Jesus as Saviour and Lord.
- A commitment to the Vision and Mission of Hope Fellowship Church.
- Ordained Minister of the Word in the Christian Reformed Church of North America. (Article 6, 7, 8. Church Order)
- Strong communications skills.
- A team player who is able to effectively lead and develop staff by living into the fruits of the spirit and modeling the servant leadership of Christ.
- Five or more years of leadership experience in a Teaching/Shepherding position preferably in a church or religious organization where he or she held primary responsibility for delivery of mission achievement.
- APEST result leaning more to the Shepherd/Teacher. (Ephesians 4)
- An ability to minister through other people by developing leaders, programs and plans that enable others to do the work of ministry.
- Demonstrated success in cross generational shepherding and discipleship, with a passion for leading, guiding and influencing the next generation.
The work of the Teaching Pastor will be evaluated on an ongoing basis according to the guidelines set out in Personnel Standards policy.
H. Other Responsibilities:
In consultation with the Vision Leadership Board, assumes any other responsibilities that may arise.
- the same as Executive Pastor
- different than Executive Pastor
CHURCH PROFILE INFORMATION
Hope Fellowship Church
1685 Bloor St. Courtice, ON L1E 2N1
Worship Services: 10:00 a.m.
Live Stream: http://bit.ly/3s2BQqG
Executive Pastor: Brian Bylsma
Worship Ministry Director: Pastor Nicole Veenkamp
Children’s Ministry Directory: Anita Koene
Rentals Administrator: Chris Ritskes
Office Administrator: Evelyn Oudyk
Bookkeeper: Paul Guerin
Custodians: Ron & Linda Touw
VISION LEADERSHIP BOARD
Jeff Friend - Chair
Larry DeBrouwer – Vice Chair
Dick Vreugdenhil – Vice Chair
Jana Lee Black-Araujo
PASTORAL CARE ELDERS
Michele George - Chair
Monique DeBrouwer - Clerk
Jennifer Shand Hazel
Janette DeBoer - Chair
Addy DeKoning - Clerk